Saturday, July 12, 2008

I hate computers.

So, the old Powerbook that's acting as a media machine has been running off a Firewire drive for a while because the internal drive started acting up.

Now the Firewire drive started having problems as well. Unfortunately, I don't have any spare drives that are large enough to hold all the data on that drive. So, we'll try setting it up to run off a smaller drive (in the same Firewire enclosure) and set up a reduced-size library until we can get things fixed. No problem, right?

Well, the optical drive isn't terribly happy either, so it can't boot the install DVD. Tried to install onto the new Firewire disk from the MacBook Pro, but as an Intel Mac, it can't install to a disk that's bootable on an old PowerPC Mac. Grah.

Ended up installing to a USB drive that was partitioned for Intel booting, doing a drive-clone from there onto the Firewire drive. Then had to swap things around again because the smaller disk I had in the Firewire enclosure started acting up.

Now, about 7 hours after I started, the newly-installed OS is finally at the point of updating to the latest version. And then I need to get the music set up on it as well, and find out if I lost any data on the old drive. Guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow.

No comments: